Dental Crowns in Birmingham, MI
Restore Damaged or Decayed Teeth with Porcelain Crowns
If you’re dealing with damaged or decayed teeth, porcelain dental crowns might be the ideal restorative dental solution to improve your oral health and regain your beautiful smile.
At Saad Oral Health & Beauty, Birmingham cosmetic dentist, Dr. Ali Saad provides personalized dental care for patients in Berkley, Beverly Hills, and Pontiac, MI. Keep reading to learn about porcelain crowns and how Dr. Saad ensures a perfect fit and natural appearance with these versatile restorations.
What Are Dental Crowns?
A dental crown, also known as a tooth cap, is a custom-made restoration that covers a damaged or decayed tooth. They’re crafted to look just like your natural teeth and are bonded over a damaged tooth to restore its shape, size, strength, and appearance. Tooth crowns can address various dental issues to restore your smile’s strength and appearance.
Benefits of Dental Crowns
Dental crowns offer a range of benefits, making them a popular choice for restorative and cosmetic dental procedures in Birmingham, MI. Let’s explore the advantages of dental crowns in more detail:
- Enhanced Tooth Protection: Covering the entire visible portion of the tooth, a crown acts as a barrier, shielding it from further decay, fractures, or other damage.
- Improved Aesthetics: If you have a tooth that is severely discolored, misshapen, or has noticeable imperfections, a dental crown can enhance its appearance.
- Restored Tooth Functionality: Dental crowns restore the functionality of compromised teeth, allowing you to enjoy a full range of foods and speak without any impediments.
- Long-Lasting Solution: Dental crowns can withstand the forces of regular biting and chewing. They are typically made from durable materials such as porcelain, ceramic, or metal alloys, ensuring longevity.
- Versatile Treatment Option: One of the significant advantages of dental crowns is their versatility. They can be used to address various dental issues, including tooth decay, cracks, chips, misalignment, and even gaps between teeth.
- Minimally Invasive Procedure: Compared to some other dental restorations, the placement of dental crowns is relatively non-invasive.
What Can Dental Crowns Fix?
Dental crowns are versatile restorations that can be used for several cases, such as:
- Severely Decayed Teeth: When a tooth is extensively decayed and cannot be restored with a dental filling, a crown may be recommended to protect and strengthen it.
- Fractured or Cracked Teeth: Dental crowns can provide structural support to fractured or cracked teeth, preventing further damage and restoring their functionality.
- Misshapen or Discolored Teeth: If you have a misshapen or discolored tooth that affects your smile aesthetics, a dental crown can be placed to improve its appearance.
- Root Canal-Treated Teeth: Teeth that have undergone root canal treatment tend to become weaker and more prone to fractures. A dental crown can reinforce the treated tooth, enhancing its longevity.
How Do Dental Crowns Work?
Consultation and Examination
The dental crown procedure begins with an initial consultation with your Birmingham cosmetic dentist. During this appointment, your dentist will evaluate your oral health, discuss your treatment goals, and determine if dental crowns are the best option for you. Dr. Saad will also explain the procedure in detail, addressing any concerns or questions.
Once you’ve decided to proceed with dental crowns, the tooth preparation phase begins. This involves the following steps:
- Numbing the Area: Your dentist will administer a local anesthetic to ensure you’re comfortable throughout the procedure.
- Tooth Reshaping: The tooth receiving the crown will be reshaped to accommodate the crown. Dr. Saad will remove any decayed or damaged portions and shape the tooth to provide an ideal fit.
Impressions and Temporary Crown Placement
After tooth preparation, your dentist will take impressions of the reshaped tooth. These impressions will serve as a guide for the dental laboratory to create a custom crown that perfectly matches your tooth. In the meantime, a temporary crown will be placed to protect the prepared tooth until the permanent crown is ready.
Once your custom crown is fabricated, you’ll return to your dentist’s office for the final placement. This typically involves the following steps:
- Removing the Temporary Crown: Your dentist will carefully remove the temporary crown, taking careful steps to not disturb the prepared tooth.
- Checking the Fit and Color: The permanent crown will be checked for fit, comfort, and aesthetics. Your dentist will make any necessary adjustments to ensure a seamless blend with your natural teeth.
- Bonding the Crown: Once the perfect fit is achieved, the permanent crown will be bonded to your tooth using a dental adhesive.
Frequently Asked Questions
Dental crowns typically have a lifespan of five to 15 years, but with proper care and maintenance, they can last even longer. Regular oral hygiene practices such as brushing, flossing, and routine dental check-ups can help extend the longevity of your dental crowns.
The cost of dental crowns can vary depending on several factors, including the material used, the case’s complexity, and the dental practice’s location. It’s best to consult your dentist to get an accurate estimate based on your needs.
During the placement of dental crowns, local anesthesia can numb the area, ensuring a comfortable experience. It’s normal to experience some sensitivity or mild discomfort in the days following the procedure. Over-the-counter pain relievers can help alleviate any discomfort. If you have concerns about pain or discomfort, discuss them with your dentist beforehand.
If your dental crowns become damaged or dislodged, contact your dentist as soon as possible. They will assess the situation and recommend the appropriate course of action. Depending on the extent of the damage, the crown may need to be repaired or replaced. Professional attention is crucial to ensure the longevity and functionality of your dental crowns.
Begin the Journey to an Enhanced Smile
When it comes to dental restorations, porcelain crowns stand out as an ideal solution for restoring the strength and appearance of damaged or decayed teeth. With the ability to seamlessly blend with your smile, porcelain crowns provide a discreet, long-lasting solution, allowing you to smile confidently once again. Call our Birmingham, MI, office at 248-646-3515 to schedule an appointment and learn more about the benefits of dental crowns.